tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 03 21:02:16 1998

Re: KLBC: rep

From: Robyn Stewart <[email protected]>

>As you can see from above, Klingons use the 24 hour clock, and speak
>in terms of hours.  We don't know for sure how to say "twenty to" or
>"quarter of" of "five past."  Kloingons having adopted our method of
>telling time after the dial clock became somewhat obsolete, they
>probably just say
>
>?wa'maH loS rep wejmaH
>
>or
>
>?wa'maH loS rep wejmaH tup
>
>Those are purely guesses.

I don't understand those guesses.  Are you losing the {vatlh} somewhere?

We're told that Klingons have borrowed the 24-hour day from Terrans,
including the way it's said.  "Fifteen hundred hours," or 3 PM, is {wa'maH
vagh vatlh rep}, literally, "fifteen" plus "hundred" plus "hours."

If the Klingons borrowed this system fully (and I don't see why they
wouldn't), then something like "Fifteen hundred thirty hours" would end up
like {wa'maH vagh vatlh wejmaH rep}.  It's a direct borrowing.  It doesn't
have much grammatical meaning in Klingon, except in its borrowed roots.

This is one of the very, very rare cases when you should first think of how
it's said in English, and then translate it word-for-word into Klingon.

SuStel
Stardate 98505.5

Back to archive top level