tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 29 18:54:22 1998

Re: Nature phenomenon

ja' Jon Brown:
>Excuse me for jumping in at the deepend here but surely the 'subject'
>of  - rain (v) - is the weather (or possibly the atmosphere/sky).

Jon thinks it's the collection of interrelated systems we call weather that
rains (or maybe the air/atmosphere/sky).  There's one possibility.

ja' DloraH:
>...It could refer to cats and dogs, or buckets, but we all
>know what is really falling from the sky; do we need to spell it out every
>time?...
>  This action of the water droplets falling is refered to by the verb SIS.
>We could specify what the subject is, but I think everyone over five years
>old knows what it is.

DloraH thinks it's the drop of water that rains.  That's two possibilities.

Or is it the cloud which rains?  These are the three likely subjects of
{SIS} that I was thinking about earlier.  I can also imagine a vaguely
anthropomorphic Greek-god-like entity that was believed to control the
weather, so *he* actually rains.

I think there are enough different possibilities for us to stop trying to
convince each other what is "correct" and we should just agree that there
is no obviously "right" answer -- so far.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level