tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 29 18:13:53 1998

Re: KLBC Poetry

ja' SuStel:
>...Indeed, while {tuj} is a verb of quality, {tujchoH} describes an
>action.  Perhaps one is not allowed to place a perfective suffix on any
>construction which does not describe an action.  (This is just speculation.)

Ooh, good observation.  I now see exactly why we disagree on this.  Yes,
an aspect suffix on a verb that's not describing an action is a bit odd.
I doubt that it's forbidden, but it would seem that interpreting what it
means is a topic of debate. :-)  I agree that using {-choH} makes sense
on my {nen} and {DeH} examples, and based on how I came up with them it
would likely fit well on any similar examples I wanted to give.  But I'm
still not "feeling" that {tujpu'} implies that the being hot has stopped.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level