tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 28 22:20:35 1998

Re: Nature phenomenon

ja' peHruS:
>"subject" luHutlh mu' {SIS} mu' {peD} je 'e' vIHar 'e' Datlhojmo' bIlugh
>mu' {peD} rur 'e' vIHar
>
>SKI:  The further evidence I have "felt" that {SIS} takes no subject is that
>we have the parallel {peD}.

nuqjatlh?  There's *exactly* as much evidence to indicate the appropriate
subject of {peD} as there is for {SIS} -- which is to say *none at all*.
I agree that the words seem to have a similar nature, but that apparent
fact can't be used to argue proper usage without any examples.

>Perhaps we will discover that the sky can rain cats and dogs.  So far, I
>"feel" the "it rains" and "it snows" are the Klingon equivalents of the
>English idioms.

I'm slightly surprised that you reject out of hand the likelihood that
{SISlu'} is correct.  If you "feel" that {SIS} has no subject, I would
expect that you'd use known Klingon grammar to indicate that lack.  By
itself, {SIS} implies that there *is* a subject.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level