tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 28 22:20:36 1998

Re: Locatives and {-bogh} (was Re: KLBC Poetry)

ja'pu' Qermaq:
>Qe'Daq vIje'qangbogh qagh wISoplaH.
>We can eat qagh in the restaurant which I am willing to buy.

Umm...I don't think so at all.  There's no way I can get myself to use
{Qe'Daq} in this sentence as anything other than a locative.  It's a bit
ambiguous as to whether it's the locative of {je'} or {Sop}, but it is
*not* the object of either verb.  And with no obvious object to act as
head noun, {vIje'qangbogh} falls flat and fails to mean much of anything
to me.

ja' peHruS:
>majQa'
>mu'tlhegh Dun Damuchta'
>Just as in English, the subject "I" am willing to buy refers to buying the
>restaurant instead of buying the qagh.

I have no idea what this means...

>Well done.  Very clear.

I must disagree forcefully.  It's not clear to me in the slightest.  I
can follow the argument for why it should mean what it's intended to,
but I cannot accept it.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level