tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 26 21:51:02 1998

Re: Nature phenomenon

In a message dated 98-01-23 15:42:01 EST, ghunchu'wI' answers peHruS:

<you apparently like to talk about it as if there were no subject at all:
 "It rained from what was left of the roof once the bomb was
 detonated, and the sidewalk was covered with debris."
 "Before noon, it rained icily."
 "It is raining on the gruelow [*] planets."
 While I can understand the justification for an elided {muD} or even
 {'oH} here, it still sounds to me like {-lu'} would make at least as
 much sense.  And it doesn't easily permit the image that I got from
 reading Francesco's poem, of planets themselves falling like rain.

--peHruS continues-------
"subject" luHutlh mu' {SIS} mu' {peD} je 'e' vIHar 'e' Datlhojmo' bIlugh
mu' {peD} rur 'e' vIHar

SKI:  The further evidence I have "felt" that {SIS} takes no subject is that
we have the parallel {peD}.

Perhaps we will discover that the sky can rain cats and dogs.  So far, I
"feel" the "it rains" and "it snows" are the Klingon equivalents of the
English idioms.

peHruS

Back to archive top level