tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 28 14:38:38 1998

Re: mathematics

According to Andeen, Eric:

> *1 - I used the thing which was to be done as the object of <pon>, and
> (if necessary), the person to be persuaded would become an indirect
> object: [<action> matlhvaD 'e' ponlaH *Okrand*]. An alternative usage
> would be to make the direct object the person to be persuaded and stick
> the action in a purpose clause [... qonmeH matlh chaq ponlaH *Okrand*],
> with matlh as an unstated direct object. I don't know which one is
> correct, so I took a guess.
>
> pagh

I respect the thought you put into this concern. I think I'd
tend to guess the other way, simply because "persuade" and
"convince" both take the person as direct object, and {-meH}
does such a good job of tying the action in for this particular
verb.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level