tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 28 12:43:56 1998

Re: mathematics

<edy>-vaD mI'QeD mu' QIj charghwI':

> We have no canon for this. We can only guess. I'll offer
> my guess, but it has no validity beyond whatever degree
> of acceptance others may choose to offer it.

[chovnatlh law' vIteq ...]

pov QIjmeH mu'lIj.

mI'QeD mu'na' DIHutlhmo', Hoch DIDelnIS. mI'QeD mu'na' lutu'lu'bej 'e'
vIHarqu', 'ach wej DISov. Hoch QeD yajmeH tlhInganpu', mI'QeD luyajnIS,
'ej mI'QeD luyajmeH, mu'na' lo'nISba'. tugh mI'QeD paq nap qon matlh
chaq 'e' ponlaH *Okrand*. 'e' wItullaH. ghaytanHa'. Do'Ha'. *1

mI'QeD mu'na' lo'meH ghojwI', mu'na' ghojnIS. ghojmeH, ghaHvaD QIjnIS
ghojmoHwI'. ghaytan charghwI' mu' rur tlhIngan mI'QeD ghojmoHwI' mu'.

SKI: charghwI' 's explanations are probably exactly what a Klingon
mathematician would say when trying to explain fairly simple equations
to someone not familiar with mathematical terminology. Unfortunately,
that category will include all of us until Okrand can convince Maltz to
write a basic Klingon math text.

> I probably should have left this for pagh, since he loves math
> so much and is doing so well with his Klingon these days.

qatlho', jupna'wI'.

*1 - I used the thing which was to be done as the object of <pon>, and
(if necessary), the person to be persuaded would become an indirect
object: [<action> matlhvaD 'e' ponlaH *Okrand*]. An alternative usage
would be to make the direct object the person to be persuaded and stick
the action in a purpose clause [... qonmeH matlh chaq ponlaH *Okrand*],
with matlh as an unstated direct object. I don't know which one is
correct, so I took a guess.

pagh

Back to archive top level