tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 27 03:13:16 1998

Re: KLBC Poetry (the child is happy)

nuja' Alan Anderson

>Oops.  I think Edy is confusing the "topic" suffix and the "previous sentence"
>pronoun.  They are spelled the same, but they are unrelated to one another.

    I'm not sure about that. Below, some sentences:

QeH qama'pu' HoHpu'bogh loD'e'
[The man who has killed the prisioners is angry]

QeH qama'pu' HoHpu'bogh loD'e' 'e' vIlegh
[I saw that the man who has killed the prisioners is angry]

bIr nImbuS wejDaq Dujvetlh paw'bogh ghopDap'e'
[The asteroid which collide that ship in Nimbus 3 is cold]

bIr nImbuS wejDaq Dujvetlh paw'bogh ghopDap'e' ja' QonoS
[The newspaper report that the asteroid which collide that ship in Nimbus 3 is cold]

'IHqu' vutpa'Daq ghaHtaH be'Hom'e'
[The girl in the kitchen is very beautiful]

'IHqu' vutpa'Daq ghaHtaH be'Hom'e' 'e' wIQochbe'
[We agree that the girl in the kitchen is very beautiful]

jot vutpa' 'IHqu'Daq ghaHtaH be'Hom'e'
[The girl in the very beautiful kitchen is calm]

Quch ghew HoHpu'bogh puq'e' 'e' vItul
[I hope that the child who has killed the bug is happy]

>There are three reasons one might use {-'e'} the suffix.  Its primary role

    [..]

>  {taj jejmoHpu' yaS'e'} "It was the *officer* who sharpened the knife."
>  {nuH 'oH butlh'e'} "Dirt under the fingernails is a weapon."
>  {Quch ghew HoHpu'bogh puq'e'} "The child who killed the bug is happy."
>  {ghew HoHpu' puq 'e' vIHar} "I believe that the child has killed the bug."

    [..]

>I hope this cleared up some confusion without causing more.

    If my sentences are ok it's quite clear!  But it works
in simple sentences. If we make a complex sentence like:

The father of the child who has killed the bug in the kitchen is happy

There is an ambiguity here: who killed the bug?

Could I say (?):

1. The father has killed the bug:
Quch vutpa'Daq ghew HoHpu'bogh puq vav'e'

2. The child has killed the bug:
vutpa'Daq ghew HoHpu' puq 'ej  Quch vavDaj

In second case, is it possible to write in 1 sentence?

And about these:

1. I hope that the child who has killed the bug, eat the food also.
   (I tried but .. failed) Soj Sop je, ghew HoHpu' puq'e', 'e' vItul

2. That girl who was in the kitchen is sleeping in the room
    pa'Daq QongtaH vutpa'vo' be'Homvetlh
    or .. take down ...
    pa'Daq QongtaH vutpa'Daq ghaHpu'bogh be'Homvetlh

__
Edy

Back to archive top level