tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 27 15:45:55 1998

Re: KLBC Poetry (the child is happy)

At 21:53 98-01-26 -0800, ghunchu'wI' wrote:
}ja'chuq Edy Qov je:
}>}>I believe I see what you are thinking, though. Let me explain.
}>}
}>}    [..]
}>}
}>}>killed the bug" OR "the bug which the child has killed" (ambiguous)
}>}
}>}    I would like to discuss this topic later.
}>}
}>}>Resolve the ambiguity with the {-'e'} topic marker on the subject of
}>}
}>}    I know it and I did it in the sentence below.
}>
}>Yes, I was explaining that step by step for the benefit of other people who
}>could learn from what you were doing.  I try to make explainations useful
}>for more than one person.
}>
}>}>{Quch ghew HoHpu'bogh puq'e'} - "The child who has killed the bug is
}>>happy."
}>}>
}>}>Yes, the word {Quch} is closer to the word {ghew} than the word
}>}>{puq}, but that's ok.  It is perfectly clear that it is the child
}>}>that is happy.  The whole relative clause is the subject of the verb
}>>{Quch}.
}>}
}>}    Ahhh .. This is the point. If the subject has the
}>}topic 'e' suffix, the it refers to the previous
}>}sentence (in this case).
}>
}>yay!  I hoped that was the point you needed.
}
}Oops.  I think Edy is confusing the "topic" suffix and the "previous sentence"
}pronoun.  They are spelled the same, but they are unrelated to one another.

Well caught, ghunchu'wI'.  I missed the confusion because I was looking for
understanding.  This is a VERY important point.  Edy and others please take
note that the {-'e'} suffix bears no relation to the word {'e'} except in
spelling.

}There are three reasons one might use {-'e'} the suffix.  Its primary role
}is to make the noun it's attached to into the topic of the sentence.
}  {taj jejmoHpu' yaS'e'} "It was the *officer* who sharpened the knife."
}  {taj'e' jejmoHpu' yaS} "It was the *knife* that the officer sharpened."
}
}When a pronoun is used as the verb "to be", an explicit subject always gets
}the topic suffix {-'e'}.
}  {nuH 'oH butlh'e'} "Dirt under the fingernails is a weapon."
}  {ravDaq 'oHtaH waqwIj'e'} "My shoe is on the floor."
}
}In a relative clause with both a stated object and a stated subject, {-'e'}
}is used to mark the head noun.  That's what is happening in the sentence
}being discussed above.
}  {Quch ghew HoHpu'bogh puq'e'} "The child who killed the bug is happy."
}  {Quch ghew'e' HoHpu'bogh puq} "The bug that the child killed is happy."
}
}None of these involve a reference to the previous sentence.  That would be
}the role of the pronoun {'e'}, which is *always* used as the object of a
}sentence, as a separate word.
}  {Quch puq 'e' vIlegh} "I see that the child is happy."
}  {ghew HoHpu' puq 'e' vIHar} "I believe that the child has killed the bug."
}
}I hope this cleared up some confusion without causing more.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level