tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 24 22:24:25 1998

Re: chas' sentences (Was: (no subject))

At 04:20 98-01-23 -0800, you wrote:
}chas jang Qov:
}>> jIHeghpa' yIHraj non bep'a' 'e' vIleghta'.
}>> Before I die I will see your rotten tribble in hell.
}>
}>Very nice try.  Few problems, though.  You were aiming for "I will
}>see your tribble suffer greatly," a very fair recast for what is a
}>pretty colloquial expression in English.
}
}Unfortunately, it violates the rule on page 66 of TKD which prohibits using
}an aspect suffix on the second verb of a sentence-as-object construction.
}Although the {-ta'} at the end of the sentence makes *perfect* sense here,
}it's ungrammatical.

Oh oh, if I sent the version of that reply that didn't include that, I sent
the wrong version of that reply.  Is there a big hole in the middle where I
didn't correct anything?  I tend to attack long posts piecemeal.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level