tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 23 04:10:17 1998

Re: chas' sentences (Was: (no subject))

chas jang Qov:
>> jIHeghpa' yIHraj non bep'a' 'e' vIleghta'.
>> Before I die I will see your rotten tribble in hell.
>
>Very nice try.  Few problems, though.  You were aiming for "I will
>see your tribble suffer greatly," a very fair recast for what is a
>pretty colloquial expression in English.

Unfortunately, it violates the rule on page 66 of TKD which prohibits using
an aspect suffix on the second verb of a sentence-as-object construction.
Although the {-ta'} at the end of the sentence makes *perfect* sense here,
it's ungrammatical.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level