tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 21 01:00:46 1998

Re: Was KLBC: Qov's sentences

At 09:04 98-01-09 -0800, you wrote:
}charghwI'vo':
}
}Qov's sentences are good, and many are challenging. While I'm
}probably not qualified to be a beginner, I have to take a swing
}at a couple of them. I'm not intending to interfere with Qov's
}communication with folks on these sentences or correct anyone's
}stuff. I just want to work with the sentences, myself.

mu'tlheghmeywIj DaparHa'chugh tImugh.

}According to 'elren maqa'vIan:
}>
}> >I am not a fool who translates every word without understanding
}> >anything.
}>
}> mu'mey mugh qoH 'ej bIH yajbe' 'e' jIHbe'
}
}pagh yajtaHvIS, Hoch mu'mey mughbogh qoH'e' jIHbe'.

vIparHa'.

}> >Jumping at shadows, your beloved daughter accidentally pierced her
}> >finger.
}>
}> lughIjvIS QIbmey bong nItlh 'oy puqbe'oylI'
}
}Interesting. I would have thought it meant:
}
}QIbmey HIvDI' puqbe'oylI' bong nItlhDaj DuQchu'.

QIbmeymo' Sup ghaH, 'ach meq vIqelbe'pu'.  meqmey pIm bowIvmo' Daj ghu'.

}I saw the daughter taking a much more active role in dealing
}with both the shadows and her finger. Interesting.

}> >The sharp stick she was carrying should be dulled before I give it to
}> >my son.
}>
}> qeng naQ jej 'ach puqloD nobpa' 'oH jejHa'nIS
}> (I don't know if I can get away with this one, but I can't *see*
}> anything wrong with it)
}
}puqloDwI'vaD naQ jej'e' qengpu'bogh be'vetlh vInobpa'
}jejHa'nISmoHlu'.

vIparHa'.

}Note that I changed "she was carrying" to "she has carried"
}before translating it to Klingon. It seems more accurate.
}During the time setting of the sentence, the carrying of the
}stick was complete.
}
}> >Waiting at the door was a beautiful woman.
}>
}> lojmItDaq loS be' 'IH
}> (not to happy with this one, don't know why tho)
}
}The sentence is fine. The image is disturbing. Trouble. A
}beautiful woman waiting at a door ALWAYS means trouble. Just
}say, "No." Just back out of the room by another exit, weapons
}readily at hand, ready to spin in an instant. Nothing is safe.
}Danger is near.

charghwI' vupnISlu'.

}> >The woman sent me into extreme panic because she was holding a >severed
}> head and I recognized the face.
}>
}> nach 'uch be' 'ej qab vIghovmo' 'oy' tIn munob
}
}Oh, boy! Talk about stacking nested relative clauses! Can I get
}away with this? Oddly, I can understand this one fairly easily,
}and I shouldn't be able to:
}
}qab vIghovbogh ghajbogh nach teqlu'pu'bogh 'uchmo' be' jIlImqu'.

And I was thinking:

mulImqu'moH be', nach chavlu'bogh 'uchmo' 'ej qab vIghovmo'.

But of course charghwI' would never write such a sentence.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level