tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 24 22:23:40 1998

Re: KLBC: some sentances

At 17:13 98-01-21 -0800, 'elren wrote:
}Qov writes:
}
}>>The sharp stick she was carrying should be dulled before I give it
}>>to my son.
}>
}>>qeng naQ jej 'ach puqloD nobpa' 'oH jejHa'nIS
}>
}>"The sharp stick carried, but before it gives the son it should be
}>dull."
}>Look at the subject and object of each verb you use. Try this one
}>again.
}>
}
}naQ jej qeng be' 'ach puqloDwIj 'oH vInobpa', 'oH vIjejHa'nIS

{puqloDwI'vaD}.  Use {-wI'} for the possessive of people, and see section
6.8 in the addendum to see how to do an indirect object.  The second {'oH}
is probably unnecessary.  You wouldn't be dulling your son.

}The woman carried a sharp stick but before I give it to my son I need to
}dull it.
}
}>>>The woman sent me into extreme panic because she was holding a
}>>>severed head and I recognized the face.
}>>
}>>nach 'uch be' 'ej qab vIghovmo' 'oy' tIn munob
}>
}>Weak on vocabulary here.  For "sent me into extreme panic" I was
}>looking for a construction with {lIm}.  Try this one again, and try >to
}get closer to the original.
}>
}
}nach 'uchmo' mulImmoHbej be' 'ej qab vIghov

The reason you panicked is that she was holding a head and you recognized
the face.  In English you just put all the reasons after the "because."  In
Klingon you need to put a {-mo'} on each reason.

nach 'uchmo' be' 'ej qab vIghojmo' mulImqu'moH be'.

I said {mulImqu'moH} instead of {mulImmoHbej} because {mulImmoHbej} means
that you're sure she made you panic, but doesn't stress that it was extreme
panic.  The {-qu'} intensfies the panic.

}The woamn made me panic because she was holding a head and I regonized
}the face.
}
}>>>If I want to use Klingon to communicate those ideas then I
}>>>undoubtedly will.
}>>
}>>qech QummeH tlhIngan Hol vIlo' vIneHchugh tlhIngan Hol vIlo'bej
}>
}>Missed "those". Figure out how to put "those" in.
}>
}
}qechmeyvetlh QummeH tlhIngan Hol vIlo' vIneHchugh tlhIngan Hol vIlo'bej
}
}Thats better.

I just noticed: {qechmeyvetlh vIQummeH}.  The subject of Qum is "I" not "he."

}>Clearly more careful work, shows off your skills more. Fix up the few
}>and I'll give you more -- just giving myself some breathing room
}>before I make up more, by lobbing it back at you.
}
}qavan. I enjoyed translating those sentances, and I would love some more

I never promised you I would take away the military experiment.
You must use special devices to calculate the classification of these rocks,
and I recommend you let the experts do that.
Before you can invade or conquer, you need to accumulate ammunition.
The government taxes all the money you accumulate.
Should an old father risk his money when his son is young?
A man is ridicuing Newfoundlanders because they like to eat fish tongues.
Responsible citizens do not permit their government to become greedy and
corrupt.
United we stand.  Divided we could confuse the Americans.
If Quebec separates to join the States, what colour will the milk be?
The governement keeps abusing us and we keep selecting them again.
How many Canadian regional leaders does it take to change a transporter
ionizer unit?

(These sentences inspired by the Globe and Mail supplement, Investing for
Income" and a comedy monologue on Canadian history playing on CBC radio.)

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level