tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 24 22:23:40 1998

Re: KLBC-Qov's exercises

At 09:47 98-01-23 -0800, chasm wrote:
}>> Qob yIHraj qopnISlu'.
}>> Someone should arrest that dangerous tribble.
}>
}>One grammatical error, and two differences from what I asked for.
}>{Qob yIH}, as you demonstrated above, means "the tribble is
}>dangerous."  To say "dangerous tribble," you'll find that the
}>adjective section of the verbs chapter prescribes a different word
}>order
}>
}>I said "that" not "your" tribble, and, seeing as you have to fix this
}>one anyway, give me two sentences, one saying "someone shoud arrest
}>that dangerous tribble" and the other saying "that dangerous tribble
}>should be arrested."  Subtle difference, but there.
}
}        yIHvetlh qob qopnISlu'

Two steps forward one step back.  Dangerous is {Qob}.

{yIHvetlh Qob qopnISlu'} - "that dangerous tribble should be arrested

}        qob yIH 'e' qopnIS
}                Is the 'e' necessary?

If this says anything it it is something like "He should arrest that the
tribble is yangerous."
"The tribble is dangerous" doesn't make sense as an object of the verb
"arrest,"  and using {q} instead of {Q} in {Qob} is as wrong as using "y"
instead of "d" in dangerous." Lets forget this attempt because ALL I wanted
you to say is "someone should arrest that dangerous tribble."  {yIHvetlh Qob
qopnIS vay'}  I'm curious why you DIDN'T come up with that.  You didn't
think you could use {vay'} as a subject?

}-------------------------------------------------------
}>> chutmey SaHbe' 'e' vIQub.
}>> I suspect it does not care about the laws.
}>
}>maj.  But I said "suspect" not "think."  Use the vocab.
}
}        chutmey SaHbe' 'e' vInub

{nub} is "be suspect."  {pIH} is "expect," "be suspicious"

}-------------------------------------------------------
}>> yIHraj bIghHa'Daq lunge'.
}>> The guards will take your tribble away to jail.
}>
}>Careful.  You've broken up the OVS of the main clause with a noun+Daq.  See
}>page 60.  "Any noun in the sentence indicating something other than subject
}>or object comes first, before the object noun."
}
}        bIghHa'Daq yIHraj lunge'

maj.  Is there some reaso why "the guards" isn't in this sentence?

}-------------------------------------------------------
}>> jotHa' jIH nabmeyHeymo' yIHDaj.
}>> The animal's apparent plans make me uneasy.
}>
}>This subject of the sentence I gave is "this animal's apparent plan."  The
}>verb is "make uneasy."  The object is "me."  Simple OVS sentence.  Try
}>again.  Look at the verb suffix {-moH} in 4.2.4 for a hint.
}
}        jIH mubItmoH nabmeyHey yIHDaj
}                or just
}        mubItmoH nabmeyHey yIHDaj

Close.  You have {-moH} right, but you want to say "this animal's apparent
plan."  The possessor goes before the thing possessed: {Ha'DI'baHvam nabHey}.

}More, please.

Grin.  I'm listening to the radio arts report.  These sentences may be a
little easier.  Feel free to add a few of your own to try out new points of
grammar you have been stdying.

Children love these women's songs.
The group was formed for five women to sing songs and become famous.
They will be famous for one year.
When one year has passed, everyone will forget them.
Which girl do you like best?
Plastic clothing does not excite me.
Their names are funny.
Apparently only one of them can sing.
I think I'll see their movie (presentation) before I decide if the critics
(attackers) are right.
The first sentences were about tribbles and the second sentences were about
the Spice Girls.
Is Qov trying to make me ill?

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian