tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 24 22:23:42 1998

Re: Poetry

At 04:31 98-01-22 -0800, edy wrote:
}ghItlh: Qov <[email protected]>
}
}>}As a Type 5 noun suffix, {-'e'} is never placed on the first
}>}noun of a noun-noun construction (TKD p31).
}>
}> lugh ghunchu'wI'.  Because of the oddly-placed type-5 I read this
}> as:"It/she/he/they live(s) while my eyes which are very tired
}> occur."
}
}>Unfortunately the "original" in this case is an imperfect
}> translation from the Portuguese, so only Edy knows what it is
}> supposed to mean.  Perhaps it is an idiom.  I am quite sure
}> that much of the Klingon the BG's flag as
}>correct would really sound this bizarre to Klingons.
}
}    It's really unfortunatly, because it's impossible (for me)
}to translate the exatly meaning of the poetry in english
}due the idomatic expressions. I can write the meaning of
}the words, but not the feeling.

Bingo! It's impossible for most people to translate poetry between
languages.  Translation of poetry requires a thorough knowledge of the
target and source language, and the ability to actually write poetry in the
target language.  Translate meanings, not words.  Tell us a story that you
know in Portuguese.  Just tell us what happens in the story, not worrying
about what the exact words are.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level