tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 22 18:26:39 1998

Re: Nature phenomenon

ja' SuStel:
>I think we just have to find out what the proper subject for these verbs is.
>Perhaps it is {muD} "atmosphere."

Or perhaps it's the stuff that falls from the sky.  Is it the sky which
rains, or is it the droplet of water?  Is it the sky which snows, or is
it the tiny ice crystal?

>tlhIngan wa': HurDaq muD Dotlh nuq?
>("What's the weather like outside?")
>
>tlhIngan cha': SIStaH.  (or, {SIStaH muD})
>("It's raining.")

I agree with Qov that falling back on an unstated "it" sounds an awful
lot like an indefinite subject.  There's a matter of degree involved,
of course, and there's certainly room for debate -- at least until we
find a "real" example of how Klingons talk about the weather.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level