tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 22 09:30:39 1998

Re: Nature phenomenon

-----Original Message-----
From: Qov <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
Date: Tuesday, January 20, 1998 6:51 PM
Subject: Re: Nature phenomenon

>The long answer is the thread of arguments and conflicting advice that this
>post will engender.

If you insist.  I find it hard to believe (though not impossible) that
Klingon would have verbs which *cannot* have any logical subject.  Qov's
suggestion that {SIS} and {peD} and so forth use the indefinite subject
suffix {-lu'} advocates this idea.

I think we just have to find out what the proper subject for these verbs is.
Perhaps it is {muD} "atmosphere."  Since we do know that {muD Dotlh}
"atmosphere's status" is the correct phrase to use when asking about the
weather (see HolQeD 2:4), it would be logical to say exactly what the
atmosphere is doing in response to this question.

tlhIngan wa': HurDaq muD Dotlh nuq?
("What's the weather like outside?")

tlhIngan cha': SIStaH.  (or, {SIStaH muD})
("It's raining.")

SuStel
Stardate 98057.7

Back to archive top level