tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 22 18:26:44 1998

Re: Poetry

mujang Eduardo Fonseca:
>>Thus we see the common admonition against trying to translate poetry...
>...But if I stop in the first obstacle I'll never walk by myself.

If you insist on walking through a field strewn with boulders and riddled
with pits, you'll keep encountering things that will stop you.  Better to
choose a well-kept yard with a minimum of obstacles in order to practice
your first steps. :-)

It's always so tempting to try to translate something which has a powerful
effect on you, but it's usually extremely frustrating as well.  I know it
can be boring to say simple things -- but one *does* have to learn to walk
before one can run across a vacant lot without tripping over the rocks and
the gopher holes.

Three years ago, when I was first learning Klingon, I complained about the
lack of challenge in saying {moQ Doq} "The ball is red."  The funny thing
is that I got it backwards -- and that's what convinced me of the importance
of knowing and practicing the basics before trying to get fancy.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level