tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 22 18:26:37 1998

Re: qIp/ngeQ (was "Titanic" chov SuSvaj)

>No. I hit (qIp) the wall with my hand. My hand hit (ngeQ) the
>wall. My hand cannot hit (qIp) the wall. See? {ngeQ} means the
>thing which makes the impact hits the thing that is hit. {qIp}
>means the conscious entity hits the thing which is hit by
>controlling the thing which makes the impact. I fire a pistol
>and hit (qIp) the target. The bullet hits (ngeQ) the target.
>
>English confuses the matter by having two completely different
>meanings for the verb "hit". Klingon is clearer in this
>instance.
>
>charghwI'

When did ngeQ take on this meaning?
My books tell me:

qIp - hit (with something)   (like you said above)
ngeQ - bump into, run into, collide with (sure, this is close to hit)

but don't forget:

mup - impact, strike  (the bullet hits (mup) the target)

DloraH
www2.rpa.net/~cheesbro
(last updated: 31 Dec 97)

Back to archive top level