tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 21 01:00:52 1998

Re: KLBC: Length of time

At 10:03 98-01-10 -0800, tlhIbwI' wrote:
}Okay, Qov, before I start - please don't hit me in the first couple of
}sentences cos there is a reason for it.
}
}I was thinking a while back about how to translate the phrase "Live long
}and prosper" into tlhIngan Hol because someone had mentioned it on the
}list (cue Qov with a jumbo sized pain stick because I mentioned the word
}translation).

Yay!  I'm getting through.  Thinking hard about all the differnt ways you
could translate one short phrase doesn't merit the jumbo painstick though.
The size of the painstick goes up with the ration between how much you
translate and how long you spend thinking about it.

}I was thinking about all the different ways I could think
}of of phrasing it and the best I could think of for "Live long" was "May
}you live for a long time".  If I wanted to, I could translate "May you
}live" easily - verb with the right prefix and the "May" suffix.  I then
}thought about the last bit - for a long time.
}
}How on earth do I translate that?  I have no idea.

This one has been translated many times.  You're not the only one to wonder.

My favourite translation is:

{nI'jaj yInlIj 'ej bIchepjaj}  May your life be long and may you prosper.

Marc Okrand has translated it as a order, not a wish:

{yIn nI' yISIQ 'ej yIchep}  Endure a long life and prosper!

}"They fought for many years/months/days"  I could start to translate
}with *Suv* (they fought) but what next?  Help!

Someone else already followed this up correctly.  Look at the proverb about
the running man slitting throats (in TKD appendix and with a slight typo in
TKW).  To say "for (a period of time)" in Klingon, use {qaStaHvIS (period of
time)}.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level