tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 21 01:00:44 1998

Re: En: KLBC Poetry

At 01:49 98-01-09 -0800, edy wrote:

Ah, here are the missing ones:

}>The child put his finger on the bug.
}    ghewDaq nItlhDu'lIj  Hot puq

I think {lan} is better than {Hot} here.  {nItlh Hot} implies that the
finger was the object touched, not doing the touching.  Watch your suffixes.
I wrote "finger" singualr and you have used a plural suffix.  I wrote "his"
finger and you have said {-lIj} "your."

}>The bug on the hand died.
}    Hegh ghopDaq 'oHpu'bogh ghew'e'

The {-pu'} does not belong here. No perfective aspect to the sentence.  It
died.  pItlh.

}>Now that the child has killed the bug, the child is happy.
}DaH Quch ghew Heghpu'bogh puq'e'

This was an example of "that" meaning "because" in English.  You have to
watch me because I like to put words in examples that force you to think
about meaning.  You've actually written:
"Now the bug is happy the child which has died."  Try it again.  Use the
verb "kill" not die, use the perfctive where it is needed, and translate the
meaning not the words.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level