tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 21 01:00:41 1998

Re: KLBC Poetry

At 01:07 98-01-09 -0800, you wrote:
}muja' Qov
}
}>edy dared write:
}>
}>>There is a poem that I like very much and I translated it into
}>>klingon.
}>
}>Edy, you were tricked by the poem you like so much, into doing
}>things that you should know better than to do with Klingon.
}
}        The position of Subject and Object in sentences of the poem
}alter all time.

Right, and this is a permissable thing in English.  NOT in Klingon.

}>People: when you translate you have to think HARDER not less.
}>
}>> nagh tu'lu'pu' He botlhDaq
}>> In the middle of the way there was a stone
}>
}>There are two things wrong with this sentence.  One is also wrong in
}>the sentence below.  The other I leave for you to explain.  It is to
}>do with word order and the answer is early in chapter six, I believe.
}
}        << He botlhDaq >> in sentence above is acting as the Subject of the
}sentence: "The middle of the way there was (cutting the -pu') a stone",
}which doesn't mean much sense.  I think it's the problem.
}But as I told, there is a "pun" with the words, and may be a
}"poetic license" could be used here.

No. See page 60.  "Any noun in the sentence indicating something other than
subject or object comes first, before the object noun." Flexibility in word
order is a thing allowed in English, making the English poem work.  Not so
In Klingon.

}>> He botlhDaq nagh tu'lu'pu'
}>> There was a stone in the middle of the way
}>
}>This says "there HAD BEEN a stone in the middle of the way."  That
}>is, at the time under consideration, the stone is no longer there.
}>Is that what you are trying to express, or do you want to talk about
}>the time when the stone was still there?
}
}        I think the only way to know if the stone was there or not is asking
}the author.  :-))   For me, the stone still be there.

Lose the {-pu'}.

}>> not wanI' vIlIj
}>> I'll never forget about this happening
}>
}>{not wanI'vam vlIIj} if you want to include the "this."
}
}    'e' jIlIj

'e' vIlIj.

}    Doy'qu'bogh qaStaHvIS mInDu'wIj'e' yIn
}
}Or everything is wrong ?..  :((

This one has been hased to death in another thread.

}        I think the main problem (I should write it when I wrote the poem)
}it that the He botlhDaq is the Object and not the Subject of the sentence.
}But, if there is other thing, please report me.

He botlhDaq is neither subject nor object.  It is location.  And It must go
before the SAO.

}>There was a child on the floor.
}        joqDaq puq tu'lu'

floor is {rav}.  Otherwise fine.

}>On the child was a bug.
}    puqDaq 'oHtaH ghew  or puqDaq ghew tu'lu'

maj.

}>The bug sat on the child's hand.
}    puq ghopDu'Daq ba' ghew

maj.

}>The child sat on the floor and yelled.
}    joqDaq ba' puq 'ej jachqu'

ravDaq.  Otherwise fine.

}>The child put his finger on the bug.
}    ghew
}
}>The bug on the hand died.
}>Now that the child has killed the bug, the child is happy.

Got tired and didn't finish?  Looks like you have this better now, anyway.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level