tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 20 14:03:52 1998

Re: muHotpu'bogh ghop

At 09:43 98-01-11 -0800, charghwI' wrote:
}There's a line from a song that has been fascinating me lately.
}Translating it into Klingon has proven to be non-trivial, though
}the line seems simple enough:
}
}"Well, I don't know if I've ever been loved -- by a hand that's
}touched me."

}muHotpu'bogh Hoch ghopDu' vIqelDI' muSaHchu'pu' vay' tlhoS 'e'
}vISIvvIp.

I read the original more as:

muHotpu' muSaHchu'bogh ghop 'e' vISovbe'

I don't have a problem with the personification (actually I think ther is a
more specific term for ascribing a quality or ability of the whole to a
part, but I can't remember it) of the hand as loving.  What I hear is an
implication that there may be hands that loved me, but I don't know if one
has ever touched me.  There is no actual fear or wonderment in the line at
all.  But I haven't read the rest of the song, and have alays been horrible
at understanding what song were about.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level