tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 19 13:04:53 1998

Re: Stinking help

>Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 07:31:40 -0800 (PST)
>From: "Q'vaD" <[email protected]>
>
>I posted this a few days ago and haven't gotten a response:
>
>What's the correct way to translate the word "stinking" in the context,
>"All I got is this stinking T-shirt," or, "Take your stinking hands
>off me?"

"jay'" works well for the emphatic, as was mentioned.  When I translated "I
went to a Klingon conference and all I got was this lousy button" (on
buttons I sell at qep'a'mey), I used "Deghvam QIv"/this inferior badge.

>As best I can tell the correct construction is He'So'taH but I'm not
>clear on whether this is the best way to convey the thought, or
>I'm not misusing the verb suffix -taH.

Well, you can't use -taH on verbs used as adjectives, and besides, you
don't literally mean "stinking" here.  Klingons MIGHT have the same idiom
we do, but need not, and there's no reason to suppose it.

~mark

Back to archive top level