tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 15 15:24:24 1998

Re: verb "mate with"

ghItlh ANDRE PADILLA:

>ngagh. Is it a general term for marriage simliar to Saw and nay or does
>it mean attempting procreation. If it's the latter, does it only apply to
>a be'nalmey loDnalmey je' ? Or can it apply to one's parmaqqay?

The only canonical use of <ngagh> I know is <targhlIj yIngagh! yIruch!>
"Mate with your targh! Do it!" (Funny what canon I remember...) Clearly
<ngagh> is not restricted to conventional pairings. I have muttered under my
breath <yIngagh'egh> more than once...

>Also
>In Star Trek III..."Qapla' jawwI'...bangwij je'" or "Qapla'
>jawwI'...bangwI' je'"? The subtitles say "Success my lord...and my love".
>Is she saying "Success and my love to you my lord" or "Success to you my
>love and lord"?

The second Klingon sentence and the second translation are correct, except
there's no <'> on <je>. I'll leave it to Qov to explain why.

Qermaq

Back to archive top level