tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 15 15:31:14 1998

Re: verb "mate with"

Flintlock wrote:

: ngagh.  Is it a general term for marriage simliar to Saw and nay or does
: it mean attempting procreation.  If it's the latter, does it only apply to
: a be'nalmey loDnalmey je' ? Or can it apply to one's parmaqqay?

It's heard once in Power Klingon as an insult (Okrand's punctuation is unclear):

     targhlIj yIngagh! yIruch!
     Go mate with your targ!

It seems {ngagh} is a transitive verb referring to the act itself. Or, as
Tina Turner put it, "What's love got to do with it?" Since one's partner is
on the receiving end (so to speak), s/he is the direct object of the verb.
AFAIK, it can apply to either gender.

: Also In Star Trek III..."Qapla' jawwI'...bangwij je'" or "Qapla'
: jawwI'...bangwI' je'"?  The subtitles say "Success my lord...and my love".
: Is she saying "Success and my love to you my lord" or "Success to you my
: love and lord"?

The latter: {Qapla', jawwI' bangwI' je'}. Valkris also said {HISlaH, jawwI'}
"I have, my lord" to Kruge earlier. She is the only one we've heard use the
alternate form {jaw} for {joH} "lord, lady".  Okrand officially explains it
thus:

"This title also has an alternate form, {jaw}, which is used from time to
time with no known difference in meaning or connotation, though {joH} is
heard far more frequently." (KGT p.198)

IRL, of course, this form was a backfit for the actress' mispronunciation of
{joHwI'}.

Voragh

Back to archive top level