tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 09 14:46:48 1998

Re: {-meH} and its useage

Voragh writes:
>jagh luHoHmeH jagh lunejtaH
> They are searching for the enemy in order to kill him
> ("In order to kill the enemy, they are searching for the enemy"). TKD
>
>yIn DayajmeH 'oy' yISIQ
> To understand life, endure pain. TKW
>

>HIq DaSammeH tach yI'el
> To find ale, go into a bar. TKW
>
>[...and other examples...]

There's the answer.  While the clause with {-meH} must always precede
what it modifies, it doesn't have to *immediately* precede it.  In these
examples, it comes before the object of the sentence as well as the verb.

>   or you could put the -meH clause last:
>
>     (ghaH) HIv SuvwI', tonSaw' ghojmeH loDHom.

No, you can't.  The original question was based on the rule that purpose
clauses must always come before what they modify.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level