tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 09 08:50:33 1998

Was KLBC: Qov's sentences

charghwI'vo':

Qov's sentences are good, and many are challenging. While I'm
probably not qualified to be a beginner, I have to take a swing
at a couple of them. I'm not intending to interfere with Qov's
communication with folks on these sentences or correct anyone's
stuff. I just want to work with the sentences, myself.

According to 'elren maqa'vIan:

> >I am not a fool who translates every word without understanding
> >anything.
>
> mu'mey mugh qoH 'ej bIH yajbe' 'e' jIHbe'

pagh yajtaHvIS, Hoch mu'mey mughbogh qoH'e' jIHbe'.

> >Jumping at shadows, your beloved daughter accidentally pierced her
> >finger.
>
> lughIjvIS QIbmey bong nItlh 'oy puqbe'oylI'

Interesting. I would have thought it meant:

QIbmey HIvDI' puqbe'oylI' bong nItlhDaj DuQchu'.

I saw the daughter taking a much more active role in dealing
with both the shadows and her finger. Interesting.

> >The sharp stick she was carrying should be dulled before I give it to
> >my son.
>
> qeng naQ jej 'ach puqloD nobpa' 'oH jejHa'nIS
> (I don't know if I can get away with this one, but I can't *see*
> anything wrong with it)

puqloDwI'vaD naQ jej'e' qengpu'bogh be'vetlh vInobpa'
jejHa'nISmoHlu'.

Note that I changed "she was carrying" to "she has carried"
before translating it to Klingon. It seems more accurate.
During the time setting of the sentence, the carrying of the
stick was complete.

> >Waiting at the door was a beautiful woman.
>
> lojmItDaq loS be' 'IH
> (not to happy with this one, don't know why tho)

The sentence is fine. The image is disturbing. Trouble. A
beautiful woman waiting at a door ALWAYS means trouble. Just
say, "No." Just back out of the room by another exit, weapons
readily at hand, ready to spin in an instant. Nothing is safe.
Danger is near.

> >The woman sent me into extreme panic because she was holding a >severed
> head and I recognized the face.
>
> nach 'uch be' 'ej qab vIghovmo' 'oy' tIn munob

Oh, boy! Talk about stacking nested relative clauses! Can I get
away with this? Oddly, I can understand this one fairly easily,
and I shouldn't be able to:

qab vIghovbogh ghajbogh nach teqlu'pu'bogh 'uchmo' be' jIlImqu'.

> Qapla' jupwI' 'ej batlh yItjaj

maj.

pItlh.