tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 09 08:41:46 1998

Re: Compound nouns

Edy wrote:

:         When the noun << QeD >> when attached to another noun
: give the new word the sense of our suffix  -logy ?
: tlhIlQeD - Mineralogy; wIchQeD - Mithology; tIqQeD - Cardiology; and so on.
: It could apply to << tej >> too? tlhIltej - Mineralogist; wIchtej -
Mithologist
: tIqtej - Cardiologist..

Many people do just this. On this mailing list I've seen:

*be'QeD        gynaecology
*De'wI'QeD     computer science, cybernetics
*Ha'DIbaHQeD   zoology
*HovQeD        astronomy
*naghQeD       geology
*naHQeD        botany, horticulture
*nughQeD       sociology, anthropology
*qamQeD        podiatry
*qunQeD        historiography
*tIQQeD        archaeology
*veSQeD        military science
*yabQeD        psychology
*yInQeD        biology

But, the only official compounds we have are:

HolQeD         linguistics KGT
Hov leng QeD   "Treknology" STC [not exactly a compound, but the principle's
the same]
HuchQeD        economics (KGT 148)

And since we're on the topic, everyone knows the pun for {QeD}, right?

... Q.E.D. (quod erat demonstrandum)!

Voragh

Back to archive top level