tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 28 11:49:19 1998

Re: KLBC: Re: qechmey vIHutlh

Okay, this is old, but I might as well finish it while I'm catching up.

At 13:39 98-02-11 -0800, HovqIj wrote:
}ghItlh Qov :
}> At 12:33 98-02-08 -0800, HovqIj wrote:
}>
}> }HIpIch! <chay' "We tell each other a story" vImugh?> jItlhob 'ach  qay'
}> {-'egh}
}> }{-chuq} je 'e' vIlIj. ('e' again... I just can't live without it.)
}>
}> It isn't something you can say in Klingon in so many words.  As far as we
}> know, a Klingon verb can have a reflexive object or a non-reflexive one, not
}> both.
}
}qayajchu'be'. Where is a reflexive object in my sentence? The sentence was
}intended to be:<How do I translate"..."> I asked, but I forgot that {'egh} and
}{chuq} are a problem.

The reflexive object is in the sentence you yearn to write, and in the
English. We tell each other a story has two objects, each other and the
story.  By the ay, I don't actually know what "we tell each other a story"
means.  I get the idea that you both know the story so well you are kind of
reciting it in unison. Is this right?  Whatever the case, just describe what
exactly is happening and you'll be alright.

}KLBC QIn vIqon vIneHqa', 'ach poH vIghajchu'be'. Qapta' De'wI'wIj, Qapbe'pu',
}Qapta', Qapbe'pu'... vaj pat vIchennISqa'chu'.

{chen} is "take form."  You don't "take form" something. You might need to
cause it to take form again {vIchennISqa'moH}

We actually have the verb "install"  - {jom}.  It's to "install a device,"
but I'd use it myself to install a piece of software.  You decide for yourself.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level