tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 17 11:08:00 1998

Re: la'Hom vs. ra'wI' QIv

[email protected] wrote:

> I've noted Sarah's rank in the recent logs I've been posting as <ra'wI' QIv>,
> because I checked an issue of HolQeD and found that listing there. However, I
> remember someone using <la'Hom> also, and I realize that I like that better
> than <ra'wI' QIv>. Does it matter which one I use?

Neither is "official" tlhIngan Hol; the rank list is on page 52 of KGT.

That being said, I prefer (and use) {la'Hom} for a number of reasons.
First, it quite nicely expresses "less than a Commander but more than a
lieutenant" with a noun suffix designed to do just that.  If you
translate it "sub-commander"  {la'Hom} makes perfect sense.  Also, this
method works quite well for "Lieutenant Junior Grade" {SochHom}... and
is much shorter!  Finally, it just FEELS more Klingon to me (a highly
subjective reason, yes... and didn't we have that discussion already?
<g>)

Qob, no longer a {la'Hom}

--
Qob la' (tlh.w.D. quttaj ra'wI')       [email protected]
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD ghojwI'            http://www.frontiernet.net/~qob/

Back to archive top level