tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 13 22:37:54 1998

la'Hom vs. ra'wI' QIv

>I've noted Sarah's rank in the recent logs I've been posting as <ra'wI' QIv>,
>because I checked an issue of HolQeD and found that listing there. However, I
>remember someone using <la'Hom> also, and I realize that I like that better
>than <ra'wI' QIv>. Does it matter which one I use?

ra' - command
ra'wI' - commander
la' - commander

la' is a rank.  Commander Riker

ra'wI' is a position.  The Base Commander, the guy in charge of the base; he
could be any rank.  The base I used to be stationed at, the base *commander*
was a colonel.  My company commander is a lieutenant.

Now for some opinion... I've seen many ranks such as la'Hom, etc.  I don't
think these are klingon.  I think it's just people forcing the rank
structure to match the ranks we are familiar with here on Earth (American
for most of us).
Just because we have a lieutenant J.G. and a lieutenant colonel, etc,
doesn't mean klingons do.

Oh, hey, it's not just my opinion.  I just found it in KGT.

Read KGT p 52,53

DloraH
www2.rpa.net/~cheesbro
pa' tlhIngan yanmey tu'lu'