tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 17 11:10:16 1998

Re: la'Hom vs. ra'wI' QIv

TPO wrote:

> la' is a rank.  Commander Riker
>
> ra'wI' is a position.  The Base Commander, the guy in charge of the base; he
> could be any rank.  The base I used to be stationed at, the base *commander*
> was a colonel.  My company commander is a lieutenant.

You have no idea how I fought to defend this position in the days before
I found the KLI, when it was just a couple of us and a copy of TKD.  <g>

> Now for some opinion... I've seen many ranks such as la'Hom, etc.  I don't
> think these are klingon.  I think it's just people forcing the rank
> structure to match the ranks we are familiar with here on Earth (American
> for most of us).
> Just because we have a lieutenant J.G. and a lieutenant colonel, etc,
> doesn't mean klingons do.

You're right, and I always thought this way too.  Those of us in
organized fandom add the other ranks as we see fit, mostly because the
system was already in place in English... but hey, I still often write
my name with a Fordian sutai Honorific!

Cmdr Qob sutai-qutvaj, aka Qob la'
--
Qob la' (tlh.w.D. quttaj ra'wI')       [email protected]
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD ghojwI'            http://www.frontiernet.net/~qob/

Back to archive top level