tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 11 14:32:05 1998

Re: KBLC [K'ryntes]

: K'ryntes wrote:
: }Am I on the right track with grammar?
: }   The officer shot himself by accident.
: }   bong bach'egh yaS
:
: I delayed answering this whole message because I can't remember whether the
: object of {bach} is the target or the projectile, and I'm not as organized
: as the people with the computer programs ho will follow up and tell me if
: I'm wrong when I tell you that you're right.  You have the subject verb and
: adverb in the right place and have correctly used the {'egh} suffix.  majQa'.

That's my cue, I guess. Here's what I have:

{bach}  shoot (v) (cf. baH)
"Verb, to fire a projectile weapon at." (MSN)
"The verb used for shoot when referring to disruptors is {bach}. Technically
speaking, one shoots the energy beam from the disruptor. The general word
for any energy beam (ray) is {tIH}, so a disruptor's beam is {nISwI' tIH}.
Thus, the correct formation is "nISwI' tIH bach} (shoot the disruptor beam).
As a practical matter, however, the {tIH} is often left out, and {nISwI'
bach} is the common way to say shoot a disruptor. Similarly, {pu' bach} is
shoot a phaser." (KGT:56)

Other attestations:

SuvwI' vI' Dub naQvam 'ej ray' HopDaq bachlu'meH chuqna' ghurmoH naQvam
This serves to steady the aim of a warrior and increase the effective range
for distance targeting. (SkyBox S14)

pe'vIl mu'qaDmey tIbach
Curse well! (TKW)
["The commonly heard sendoff `Curse well!'--roughly comparable in usage to
the Federation Standard `Good luck!'--literally means, `Shoot curses
forcefully!' Curses are considered a weapon of a sort which must be
propelled to their targets." (TKW:148)]

So, the object of {bach} is the projectile, beam, etc. not the target. {baH}
"shoot (torpedoes)" seems to work the same way.

: Qov     [email protected]
: Beginners' Grammarian

	          /\
	         |  |
	       .-|  |-.                 Voragh rewbe'
	     |_,\    /  |        patlh vIghajbe'mo' jIHem.
	    /   \\  //\_|_       Rankless and proud of it.
	   |/ \     `---'       [email protected]
	       `-.__.-'

Back to archive top level