tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 12 06:00:26 1998

Re: KBLC [K'ryntes]

From: Qov <[email protected]>
>}The officer shot himself by accident.
>}bong bach'egh yaS
>
>I delayed answering this whole message because I can't remember whether the
>object of {bach} is the target or the projectile, and I'm not as organized
>as the people with the computer programs ho will follow up and tell me if
>I'm wrong when I tell you that you're right.

::blinks innocently:: Computer program?

pe'vIl mu'qaDmey tIbach!
Curse well!  (TKW 148)

The object of {bach} is the projectile.  You probably can't say {bach'egh},
unless he's a human cannonball.

bachDI' yaS, bong rIQ'eghmoH.
The officer accidentally injured himself when he shot (whatever).

bachDI' yaS, bong HoH'egh.
The officer accidentally killed himself when he shot (whatever).

bong yaSDaq bach yaS.
The officer accidentally shot himself.  (I'm not sure if this particular
repeated noun would be stylistically good in Klingon, but it is
grammatically correct.  It MIGHT be as funny-sounding as "The officer
accidentally shot at the officer.")

>ghaHvaD qoH pong Hoch
>
>This probably has the same ambiguity as the English "Call me a cab!"  ("Ok,
>lady, you're a cab.")

Huh?  How is this ambiguous in Klingon?  "He" is getting the name of "fool."

SuStel
Stardate 98115.2

Back to archive top level