tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 11 13:24:25 1998

Re: KLBC: Re: qechmey vIHutlh

ghItlh Qov :

> At 12:33 98-02-08 -0800, HovqIj wrote:
>
> }HIpIch! <chay' "We tell each other a story" vImugh?> jItlhob 'ach  qay'
> {-'egh}
> }{-chuq} je 'e' vIlIj. ('e' again... I just can't live without it.)
>
> It isn't something you can say in Klingon in so many words.  As far as we
> know, a Klingon verb can have a reflexive object or a non-reflexive one, not
> both.

qayajchu'be'. Where is a reflexive object in my sentence? The sentence was
intended to be:<How do I translate"..."> I asked, but I forgot that {'egh} and
{chuq} are a problem.

> [...HIvqa' pe'wI'...]
>
> }> In order to fix it we have to dissassemble the forward gas vent.
> }wItI'meH SIp yIb 'et wIlaghnIS.
>
> I've caught you on a double noun-noun.  Or we understand different things by
> "forward gas vent."

I was wrong here. I thought {'et} was an adjective.

> {SIp yIb 'et} is the fore of the gas vent, the gas vent's fore.
> {'et SIp yIb} is the gas vent of the fore, the fore's gas vent.
>
> My non-Klingon-speaking (as much as anyone can live in a house with me and
> be non-Klingon-speaking) observer says that he too would interpret "forward
> gas vent" as the gas vent of the fore.
>
> }(maybe {nIn} instead of {SIp}? I'm not quite sure what a "gas vent" is.)
>
> I was thinking {SIp}, but would, of course, have taken either.  I have no
> idea what it is, was writing technobabble.

Daj.

> }wa' mu'tlhegh vIchel:
> }pab vIghojmeH jIqeqnIS 'e' vISov.
>
> majQa'.  yIbIj'eghQo'.  bIghojbejlI'.  DaH bIyajqu'law'mo' jIHem jIH.

KLBC QIn vIqon vIneHqa', 'ach poH vIghajchu'be'. Qapta' De'wI'wIj, Qapbe'pu',
Qapta', Qapbe'pu'... vaj pat vIchennISqa'chu'.

> Qov     [email protected]
> Beginners' Grammarian

HovqIj

Back to archive top level