tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 06 21:22:20 1998

Re: Formulae

At 15:37 98-02-06 -0800, SI'IluD wrote:

}Is anyone keeping track of the formulae that are deemed proper? I find a
}formula with a few examples very instructive. The recent -bogh discussion
}had a couple example foumlae. I started to understand the writer's intent.
}Are there other formulae that the grammarians have worked out? Can these
}formulae be shared? Will Erica ever get an Emmy? (Oops, sorry I got carried
}away {{;-)

There's a danger in tracking formula without also tracking the real rules
that went into making them up.  I'd use formulae as a rough guide for times
when you have trouble remembering what goes there, but don't try to make
them rules unto themselves or you WILL get caught.

A lot of good feedback lately. I should be making a list here of ways to
explain things to help people learn:

1. rules form TKD
2. formulae
3. examples of correct usage
4. examples of incorrect usage.
5. exercises for the student

Did I miss anyone's favourite learning tool?

}Qov, chovangmo' qatlho'. SajwIj lut vIghItlhDI' ghu' motlhbe' vIDel. leng
}SajwIj 'e' motlhbe'. (leng be'nalwI' 'e' motlh. {{{;-p)

le' wanI' 'e' vIyajbej. Seymo' SajlIj 'ej mISmo' SajlIj motlhHa'ba'. DaQIjchu'.

}*sequence* yIQIj.
}
}Plus, I'd really like to know how to express "First I did this, Second I
}did that, Third I did them" (you get the idea)

We don't have "ordinal adverbs," for lack of a better word, so ther isn't an
exact translation, but we certainly can write about sequential events.

jIvem.  jISay''eghmoH.  nIQ vISop.  yaHwIjDaq jIjaH.

wa'maH cha' verengan vIHoH.  vIHoHta'DI' tach vI'el.  wa'maH cha' HIvje'
vIchImmoHta'DI' ravDaq jIpum.

vagh vatlh rep mavem.  DungluQ megh wISop.  HurghchoHDI' <Hov leng> mabej.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level