tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 06 21:22:21 1998

Re: KLBC: IRC channel tlhIngan HolvaD (taHpu': [your suggestion]

At 01:31 98-02-06 -0800, Chakotay wrote:
}>>> vay' vIchup: tlhIngan Hol buSbogh IRC channel tu'nISlu'.
}>> IRC channel tlhIngan HolvaD: IRCnet #Klingon
}>
}>I"m assuming you are aiming at "IRC channel for Klingon: IRCnet
}>#Klingon."
}>
}>The construction {<X> <Y>vaD}, where X and Y are both
}>nouns, means "for X's Y" or "for the Y of X" with the implication
}>that X's Y is the recipient, the beneficiary, or the indirect object
}>of the action of the main verb in the clause.
}
}hmn... I didn't look further than the dictionary saying that {-vaD} was
}"for".
}I get the point tho, and I remember reading about it....
}
}>tlhIngan HolvaD IRC channel vISamta': IRCnet #Klingon
}>
}>"I have found an IRC channel for the Klingon language: IRCnet
}>#Klingon."
}>
}>This implies that you looked for it and have succeeded in finding it.
}
}that's exactly what I wish to imply ;-)
}the same -vaD problem here too tho...

The {-vaD} problem is fixed in the sentence I suggest. The channel really is
intended to be used for the Klingon language, just as the information in
Okrand's {Qu'vaD lI' De'vam} example on TKD p. 28.

}>> pa'Daq jIH pIj
}>
}>Reread the section on adverbs in chapter 5.  Note that with a couple
}>of exceptions, {pIj} NOT among them, an adverb precedes the clause
}>whose verb it modifies.  The dictionary also tells you, I believe it
}>is at the end of the nouns chapter, that the nouns {pa'} and {naDev}
}>never take the locative {-Daq}.  Your words say roughly: "I am in the
}>room.  Often."
}
}
}argh... should have known this... but, otoh (trying to talk myself out of a
}predicament), isn't an IRC channel a chat room? ;-)

Ha ha.  That's why you provided a translation.  If you hadn't, I might have
accepted that and you wouldn't have learned anything.

}>> taHbe' tlhIngan Hol jatlhlaH Hoch 'ach Dajbej Hoch
}>
}>I can see that you are aiming for something like "Everyone doesn't
}>speak Klingon all the time, but everyone is certainly interesting."
}
}no, I meant to say "not everybody speaks Klingon, but ever is certainly
}interested in it (Klingon). guess I didn't pass the test on this translation
}at all ;-)

I'd say:

{HochvaD Daj tlhIngan Hol} or {Daj tlhIngan Hol 'e' qel Hoch}

"Klingon is interesting to everyone" or "Everyone considers Klingon
interesting."

The second might be better, because the first could also mean "Klingon is
interesting for all purposes."

}>Qov, your grouchy neighbourhood Beginners' Grammarian.
}>(jIl Sep taghwI' qeSwI' qej?)
}
}Chakotay, a beginning Klingonist who just found out he was juuuust a bit
}overconfident in his capabilities ;-)

yIqontaH, yIghojtaH, yIjeQtaH.  QaghmeyDaj chIDqangchugh jeqwI' qay'be' ghaH.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level