tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 05 12:59:34 1998

Re: leng SajwIj

> leng SajwIj

{leng Soj} vIlaDpu'mo' vutmeH mIw vIpIH!  Ha'DIbaH DaQaDmoH 'e'
vIpIH, 'ach Ha'DIbaH DaHIjba'.

> Qe'Daq lujaH 'ej megh je' be'nalwI'. *Sonics
> Drive-In* lujaH.

The place visited is not the direct object of {jaH}, and a noun in
{-Daq} is not the object of any verb.  {Qe'Daq jaH chaH.  Sonics
Drive InDaq jaH}.

> juHDaq lujaH 'ej Dum Sajmaj.

{'ej} in Klingon doesn't seen to imply a sequence of events as it
does in English.  This sentence makes it look like the pet napped on
the way home.  I'd clarify with:

juHDaq pawDI' DumchoH Saj.

> Daqmey Suchbogh leghqa' 'e' vISovbej.
> pabpo'vaD:
> I would like to know if I got the -bogh phrase correct.

"I know it saw again the places it visited."  Nothing wrong with the
relative clause.  I would have used the perfective on {Such} because
the visiting was complete at the time of the re-seeing.

{Daqmey Suchpu'bogh leghqa'}
"It saw again the places it had visited."

> I have been
> trying to follow the discussion, but it is very long and difficult
> to follow.

Thank you for proving that more than just the person whose post
I am responding to is learning from what I say.  I try to target
my answers for the person who asks, and then add a little more
information so someone who doesn't understand quite as much as that
person did to start with can follow, too. If you have suggestions for
what would make things easier to follow, I'd like to hear them.

- Qov

Back to archive top level