tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 05 12:45:51 1998

Re: introduction

ghItlh Albert Arendsen

> since I had already learned the pronounciation from the KLI site I didn't
> really bother to read that part of TKD... as you describe it the sound made
> exactly the same as many Dutch people prounounce the [r], which is not the
> official Dutch pronounciation, btw ;-)

I pronounce the [r] that way (never realized it was wrong...), but
the Klingon [gh] doesn't sound that way when I pronounce it. Usually,
I'm lazy, and I just say a Dutch [g], but as I hear Okrand pronounce
it on the tapes, it should be something like [gr].

So, what I'm saying is, if I pronounce {ghargh} in a way that I think
is correct, I'd be saying somthing like [grargr]. (With an [r] as
mentioned above, not an English [r], so it sounds even raspier. I
really like Klingon, apart from the pain in my throat ;)

(Amazing, all those discussions just about *one* letter in the
alphabet... :)

> Chakotay

/Doneq
______