tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 04 18:05:42 1998

Re: [your suggestion]

At 05:14 98-02-03 -0800, Mark A. Miles wrote:
}
}Hi!
}
}jIQoS:  pIch vIghajbe' 'ach tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhlaHbe'

jIQoch.  DajatlhchoHbej.  (I disagree.  You're definitely starting to spaek it.)

}vIchupjaj'a':  chaq tlhIngan Hol buSmeH "IRC channel"  botaHmoHjaj'a'.

You're attempting here to use {-jaj} to ask for permission and to state
likelihood.  It's not the sort of "may" you see in "may I have some more" or
"the deficit may exceed our earlier predictions."  It's only the may in "may
you live a thousand years and never grow old"  or "may all your Christmases
be white."  I think you might have chosen the verb {taH} as in {taH pagh
taHbe'} - "to be or not to be."  Doesn't work here.

I'd say:

vay' vIchup: tlhIngan Hol buSbogh IRC channel tu'nISlu'.

Literally:
I suggest something: there should be an IRC channel that focuses solely on
tlhIngan Hol.

more smoothly:
I have a suggestion: there should be a Klingon-only IRC channel.

}pItlh!  Qu'vatlh!  jIvonlu'pu'.  That is bad! I'll say it in English (I
}know this is breaking the rules

Not at all.  You brave effort to speak Klingon is appreciated and pretty
good, too.

}(jItlhIj 'ach jISaHbe'!), really, but I
}have a suggestion for you, and I can't articulate it in Klingon):
}
}Why not establish a channel on IRC, to serve the same purpose as, and to
}supplement the mailing list and KEVE? I'm sure there'd be enough interest.
}
}Versus KEVE: IRC is more popular than telnet, and for some more accesible
}("HIq DaSammeH tach yI'el"); and
}
}Versus tlhIngan Hol: It's sometimes difficult to follow the threads and keep
}pace with the sheer volume of postings. IRC is all real time (i.e. one can
}get real-time answer to R.T. problems, and R.T. discussions).

We had this discussion a while back on the list, and it degenerated into
everyone putting forward his or her own favourite internet communications
medium.  Me, I'm on this mailing list, and can be persuaded to meet you on
the KLI MUSH if you send me e-mail.

}chupghaj yIja'chuq.  tlhIH Saqoy'.
}
}Is chupghaj OK? Does it mean suggestion (cf. TKD, p176).

You're thinking of {?chupghach} and that would mean more like
"suggestification."  Verbs with {-ghach} on the bare stem are "marked"
usage, sounding funny.  I usually use {-ghach} for the nominalization of a
process, rather than a thing. Instead of "I have a suggestion" say "I want
to suggest something."  We also don't use an object on a verb in {-chuq}.

}luq. Also, I am not on the mailing list, so if anyone wants to mail me
}I'd be very happy. Cheers

This message CC:ed to Mark.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian