tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 28 11:34:48 1998

Re: nouns with multiple characteristics

>I considered this, though we still don't have a lot of clarity
>about this. For "a half utility deck", I can see "half" being a
>number. There is no other half to the deck. It is like a
>measurement of the deck relating to its size. Meanwhile, for
>"half of the tribble", I see it as a noun. It is the tribble's
>half. That same tribble has another half. That makes it a
>noun-noun with tribble coming first and half following.
>
>If there were two full-sized tribbles and a half-sized tribble,
>I might, similar to the deck description, refer to 2.5 tribbles.
>The small tribble would basically be a half tribble and there
>would be no corresponding half for me to refer to. See?
>
>charghwI' 'utlh

ah, yes, I see your approach

I've seen others use Hoch this way also (similar to naQ, but slightly
different meaning)

Personally I accept your usage.  I thought there might be some people that
don't and was just throwing in more discussion (lurkers).

DloraH

Back to archive top level