tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 30 10:50:55 1998

Re: nouns with multiple characteristics

Voragh:
> chIS yIH 'ej qIj
> The tribble is black and (it is) white.

charghwI':
>Equal parts:
>  chIS yIHvam bID 'ej qIj yIHvam bID.

BoP poster:
>  cha' choQmey naQ tu'lu' 'ej tep choQ bIngDaq lo' law' bID choQ tu'lu'
>  2 Full Decks and a Half Utility Deck unter the Cargo Deck

DloraH:
> In the poster, bID is modifying choQ and is placed before it. (like Hoch)
> So perhaps:
>   chIS bID yIHvam 'ej qIj bID yIHvam

charghwI':
> I considered this, though we still don't have a lot of clarity
> about this. For "a half utility deck", I can see "half" being a
> number. There is no other half to the deck. It is like a
> measurement of the deck relating to its size. Meanwhile, for
> "half of the tribble", I see it as a noun. It is the tribble's
> half. That same tribble has another half. That makes it a
> noun-noun with tribble coming first and half following.

DloraH:
: Personally I accept your usage.  I thought there might be some people that
: don't and was just throwing in more discussion (lurkers).

And I'm one of those who don't.  Based on the limited evidence - just once on
KBP! - {bID} would seem to work like that other odd number-like noun {Hoch},
placed before the noun it modifies.  You are then able to vary the meaning
slightly depending on whether that noun is singular or plural, again just like
{Hoch}.  E.g.:

 chIS Hoch yIH.
 Each tribble is white.

 chIS bID yIH.