tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 28 06:21:44 1998

Re: nouns with multiple characteristics

On Sun, 27 Dec 1998 21:18:34 -0800 (PST) TPO <[email protected]>
wrote:

> ghItlh charghwI':
> >Equal parts:
> >chIS yIHvam bID 'ej qIj yIHvam bID.
>
> from BoP:
> ==(cha' choQmey naQ tu'lu' 'ej tep choQ bIngDaq lo' law' bID choQ tu'lu')
> ==(2 Full Decks and a Half Utility Deck unter the Cargo Deck)
>
> In the poster, bID is modifying choQ and is placed before it.
> (like Hoch)
>
> So perhaps:
> chIS bID yIHvam 'ej qIj bID yIHvam
>

> DloraH

I considered this, though we still don't have a lot of clarity
about this. For "a half utility deck", I can see "half" being a
number. There is no other half to the deck. It is like a
measurement of the deck relating to its size. Meanwhile, for
"half of the tribble", I see it as a noun. It is the tribble's
half. That same tribble has another half. That makes it a
noun-noun with tribble coming first and half following.

If there were two full-sized tribbles and a half-sized tribble,
I might, similar to the deck description, refer to 2.5 tribbles.
The small tribble would basically be a half tribble and there
would be no corresponding half for me to refer to. See?

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level