tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 22 14:19:15 1998

nouns with multiple characteristics

charghwI',  previously, you explained to me:

>...Relative clauses using these verbs are often
>synonymous to their being used adjectivally...
>Okrand uses this synonym trait in order to deal with a
>noun needing two descriptors. A small, green glass could be
>called {SuDbogh HIvje' mach} or {machbogh HIvje' SuD}, but it
>can't, so far as we've seen yet, be a {HIvje' mach SuD} or any
>variation on that using {je} or {'ej} or anything of that sort.

This brings to my mind a question.
How do we describe something that has two values for the same characteristic?
Color is the only thing that comes to mind at this time, but there might
be others.  For example, how would you describe a tribble that is both white
black (actually, part white, and part black, not a mixture, i.e., gray).

SIHwI'

Back to archive top level