tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 13 12:43:45 1998

Re: Klingon on Frasier (tv show)

>Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 11:46:45 -0800 (PST)
>From: Chris Lipscombe <[email protected]>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
>Subject: Re: Klingon on Frasier (tv show)
>
>I did, it portrayed Klingon speakers as people who live with their
mothers
>and sit in basements dreaming about girls... (The word nerd springs to
mind)

>They also made up a Klingon word for goodbye, I think it was krishkrash
>(qISqaS)
>it was basically a set up for Frasier to tell him to go away by saying
"
>Krishkrash, krishkrash". wejpuH!
>
>My girlfriend was watching it with me and turned to me and said, "Is
that
>right?" to which I simply looked at her and raised my eyebrows, she got
the
>message. ;)
>
>qurgh HoD
>
>At 11:29 AM 12/11/98 -0800, you wrote:
>>A co-worker tells me that there was a character on the American
>>television program Frasier who was working on a lifetime project to
>>compile a Klingon dictionary, and whom Frasier repeatedly chased out
>>of the room with some two or three syllable "Klingon" utterance.
>>Anyone see this?

I saw that one.
I have two explanations:
a.) Some writer figured most of the people who watch Frasier don't speak
Klingon, and so decided to just fudge something.

b.) I heard that before Marc Okrand came along, some Trekkies made up
their own version of Klingon. (which has now been rendered pretty much
obsolete.) Maybe the writer used that.