tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 09 04:24:56 1998

KLBC - permission vs. ability

I remember in elementary school, students asking the teacher "can I go to the
bathroom?",  and the teacher correcting them by saying "you mean 'MAY I go to
the bathroom?'".  I wanted to convey this in Klingon, how did I do?

can I go to the bathroom:  puchpa' vIghoSlaH'a'?

At first I thought maybe:  puchpa' vIghoS'a'?
but I thought this sounded like asking IF I was going to the bathroom,
sort of "am I going the right direction to the bathroom?"

so this is what I came up with:  puchpa' vIghoS 'e' Dachaw''a'?
or would this be better:               puchpa' bIghoS 'e' chochaw'?

Close?

SIHwI'

Back to archive top level