tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 09 06:47:22 1998

Re: Decimal numbers on the BoP poster (KBP)

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998 22:17:20 -0800 (PST) TPO <[email protected]>
wrote:
> (from another, related post)
> >wejvatlh SochmaH vagh SaD cheb'a'mey ngI' Duj
> >Mass: 8.7 KT
>
> cheb'a'  ?
> We have 1 cheb about 2.25 kg
> I wasn't able to find a clean connection between cheb and cheb'a' using
> these numbers.  1 cheb'a' is about 10 cheb.

I recently had the incredible good fortune of talking with
Okrand. He said that basically all units of measurement get
multiplied by 9 with the {-'a'} suffix. This is apparently
supposed to become obvious by some other publication, so I
wasn't going to say anything until that came out, but we might
as well get it straight first thing.

Afterward, I wondered if {-Hom} divides by 9, but I didn't think
of that while talking to him, and I don't really have any
special, ongoing communication link with the man, so I can't
just ask. I'm not special. I just had a lucky event. I suppose
we'll find out someday...

So, anyway wa' cheb'a' = Hut cheb.

> For us (in the USA) 1 ton is a nice even 2000 lbs.
> (But it is late.  Maybe I'll try tomorrow)
>

> DloraH

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level