tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 08 21:59:55 1998

Re: Decimal numbers on the BoP poster (KBP)

>  wejvatlh loSmaH loS vI' vagh wej 'uj 'aD Duj
>  Length: 120 M
>  ("The ship has a length of 344.53 ujes" etc.)
>
>  loSmaH jav vI' Soch loS 'uj 'ab meH
>  Bridge Height: 16.28 M
>  ("The bridge measures 46.74 ujes.")
>
>  HIvtaHvIS toQDuj cha'vatlh wejmaH Soch vI' vagh chorgh 'uj 'ab 'oH
>  Attack Formation Height: 82.75 M
>  ("When the BoP is attacking, it measures 237.58 ujes.")
>
>  qughtaHvIS toQDuj HutmaH vI' jav wa' 'uj 'ab 'oH
>  Cruise Formation Height: 31.56 M
>  ("When the BoP is cruising, it measures 90.61 ujes.")
>
>  SaqtaHvIS toQDuj wa'vatlh loS vI' jav chorgh 'uj 'ab 'oH
>  Landing Formation Height: 36.46 M
>  ("When the BoP is landing, it measures 104.68 ujes.")
>
>Remember that Klingons measure length in {'ujmey} - 1 uj is about 35 cm.  Note
>that these give *equivalent* measurements in both the Klingon and Federation
>systems and are not literal translations of the other.  Also notice a few more

(as you stated) MO told us 1 'uj is about 35cm.
Using these measurements we get a more accurate 34.83 cm
(I'll need to redo my conversion chart now)

>  jabbI'ID pup: Qapchu'meH 'aqroS chuq: cha' vI' chorgh loghqammey
>  High Resolution - Maximum Effective Range - 3.5 Light Years
>
>  jabbI'ID pupHa': Qapchu'meH chuq: chorgh vI' chorgh loghqammey
>  Medium to Low Resolution - Effective Range - 11 Light Years
>
>We knew that Klingons measure distance in kellicams {qelI'qam}, roughly equal
>to 2 kilometers.  We now learn that the Klingon unit corresponding to the
>Terran "light year" (LY) is the {loghqam}, equivalent to 1.25 LY.  BTW, if
>someone wants to convert the {loghqam} into miles or kilometers per second,
>they can do the math for me.

.8 loghqam = 1 LY = 9.46 x 10^12 km

1 loghqam = 1.25 LY = 1.18 x 10^13 km

I don't see any obvious connection to qelI'qam (2km); I wonder, with light
pretty much being standard everywhere, if klingons also used light for
measuring long distances as traveled during one of THEIR years.
Hmmm... 1 DIS = 1.25 years, hmmm.  Total speculation here, of coarse.

(from another, related post)
>wejvatlh SochmaH vagh SaD cheb'a'mey ngI' Duj
>Mass: 8.7 KT

cheb'a'  ?
We have 1 cheb about 2.25 kg
I wasn't able to find a clean connection between cheb and cheb'a' using
these numbers.  1 cheb'a' is about 10 cheb.
For us (in the USA) 1 ton is a nice even 2000 lbs.
(But it is late.  Maybe I'll try tomorrow)

DloraH

Back to archive top level